My friend Chris is like my friend and neighbor Sherry. She has a really good eye for recipes. It was she who first made the My Crock Pot is a Wonderland Creamy Black Bean Salsa Chicken recipe we received in the same recipe exchange. Thank you again Kelly Hogenca for bringing that recipe into our world. In July Chris sent me this recipe Tri-Colore Orzo adding that it is a great, light, mayo free pasta salad. I did not get around to making it until late summer and now I cannot stop making it. I love it because it is a great, light, mayo free pasta salad and I am just trying not to let that pricey box of organic arugula become part of my already very expensive compost pile.
Bob and Moe don't try this at home yet as I plan on serving it to you next week.
Tri-Colore Orzo
1 pound orzo pasta
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1/4 cup
2 cups fresh arugula (about 3 ounces)
3/4 cup crumbled ricotta salata cheese (or feta cheese, I use feta)
1/2 cup dried cherries (I cut mine in half and then plump them)
12 fresh basil leaves, torn
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts (toasting nuts is one of my weakest links)
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta and put the pasta on a large cookie sheet. Drizzle the pasta with 3 tablespoons olive oil, toss, spread out, and set aside to cool.
Once the orzo is cool, transfer to a large serving bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and toss gently to combine. Serve.
Everyday Italian on Food NetworkEpisode#: EI1011
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wonderful. Thanks.\\
MM
Post a Comment