Once again a recipe exchange request has landed in my inbox. Now usually I delete these sort of things. I always delete the emails that tell me I need to forward them to the eight people that mean the most to me and that I will get a special email in return, sorry Moe and Mary. However, the last time I participated in a recipe exchange my friend Kelly the marathoner provided me with the following recipe that immediately became a family favorite.
If you do not have a crock pot, and you have extra time, you can bake this in the oven at 350 for about an hour, or until the chicken breasts easily shred apart. My friend Keri has a lot of variations that she has developed with this recipe, enchiladas, soup, maybe she will share them in the comments. Now I just need to figure out what recipe I will share this time around.
CREAMY BLACK BEAN SALSA CHICKEN
2 to 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup salsa
1 can (15 oz) corn, drained, I use frozen
1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained
1 package taco seasoning
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
Place chicken in greased 3 1/2 to 5-quart slow cooker. Pour broth, salsa, corn, beans, and taco seasoning over chicken. Cover and cook on low heat 6-8 hrs or on high heat 3-4 hrs [note from kelly: high heat 3 1/2-4 hrs seems to be much better than the longer time]. Remove chicken with slotted spoon and place on serving dish. Stir sour cream and cheese into sauce in slow cooker, then pour over chicken. Makes 3-5 servings.
Serve with warm flour tortillas and spanish rice.
FYI from Kelly- I use low sodium chicken broth, low sodium black beans, low fat sour cream and it comes, instant brown rice and corn tortillas and it still tastes superior. This has become one of our favorite meals.
Friday, December 29, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment