We spent last weekend with our favorite recent retirees Bob and Moe of Dalkeith-Menomonie-Minong fame. I was under strict instructions from Moe to bring nothing but clothing or I would be asked to leave. I usually show up with a cooler full of food and a sharp knife. I tried my best to listen but I did manage to bring up some of my renegade raspberries and olives and feta from Spiros. The raspberries were used with the fabulous Swedish pancakes Moe made on Sunday and I left the olives and feta behind so that they could try this favorite recipe from Bon Appetit. We have been making it in the neighborhood for the past four summers and even make it in a cast iron pan in the winter when we feel sorry for our ice weary selves.
Grilled Pitas with Tomatoes, Olives and Feta
Ingredients
1 cup diced seeded plum tomatoes (about 4)
1/2 cup pitted coarsely chopped mixed olives
1/2 cup chopped red onion
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
4 whole wheat pita breads
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 3 ounces)
Preparation
Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Stir tomatoes, olives, onion, 2 tablespoons oil, and mint in small bowl to blend. Brush 1 side of each pita with remaining 2 tablespoons oil; place pitas, oiled side down, on grill. Cook until lightly charred, about 2 minutes. Turn pitas over; top with tomato mixture, spreading almost to edges. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover barbecue and grill pitas until topping is warm, about 2 minutes. Transfer pitas to plates and serve.
Test-kitchen tip: To pit an olive easily, simply crush the olive with the side of a chef's knife and pop out the pit.
Bon Appetit July, 2004
Thursday, July 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment