I have a friend, a very good friend, with a thing, a very big thing against kitchen gadgets. The problem is that what is a gadget to her is a necessity to the everyday cook, i.e. a sharp knife, an oven that you are not afraid to light, a strainer. So I make an effort to leave behind what I consider kitchen necessities in the cupboards and drawers of her cabin. The good news is her brothers are doing the same thing.
Here is what I could not live without in my own kitchen. Think of it as gift suggestions to the cook in your life.
A Microplane zester, a savior to fingernails and knuckles the world over. A wood rasp to the tool bench person in your life.
Silpat baking sheets
A silicone basting brush, as I could never get the butter residue off of the regular pastry brushes, Ikea has a cheap set
A grease splatter guard that fits over a 12-inch fry pan, skillet, Ikea makes a great one
A Kitchen Aid mixer, in my family you get a Kitchen Aid for college graduation
Cuisinart food processor, with one work bowl labeled sweet and the second labeled savory, because there is nothing worse, except sharp knifeless kitchens, than a beautiful fruit tart with a crust that tastes vaguely of onions
Dedicated chopping boards, one garlic-onion, one meat, one veg
Meausuring cups that include a 2/3 cup measure, Tupperware used to make them but the latest model has a lip on it.
A large, non-stick, electric griddle, which is great for pancakes, quesadillas, burgers, ruebens etc. Mine needs replacing.
My microwave, to warm my coffee cup, melt my butter, defrost my meat, and heat the leftovers that only I seem to eat around here.
Here is what I made the last time I worked in her kitchen. Don’t let Thanksgiving pumpkin pie overload keep you from trying this recipe soon.
PUMPKIN BREAD PUDDING WITH CARAMEL SAUCE
Bread pudding
2 cups half and half
1 15-ounce can pure pumpkin
1 cup (packed) plus 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
10 cups 1/2-inch cubes egg bread (about 10-ounces), I use basic grocery store bakery Italian or French bread
1/2 cup golden raisins
Caramel sauce
1 1/4 cups (packed) dark brown sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup whipping cream
Powdered sugar
For bread pudding: Preheat oven to 350°F. Whisk half and half, pumpkin, dark brown sugar, eggs, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon and vanilla extract in large bowl to blend. Fold in bread cubes. Stir in golden raisins. Transfer mixture to 11x7-inch glass baking dish. Let stand 15 minutes. Bake pumpkin bread pudding until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare caramel sauce:
Whisk brown sugar and butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat until butter melts. Whisk in cream and stir until sugar dissolves and sauce is smooth, about 3 minutes. Sift powdered sugar over bread pudding.
Serve warm with caramel sauce and sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
Makes 6 servings.
Bon Appétit
November 2000
R.S.V.P.
Wildfire, Oak Brook, IL
printer friendly link http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/printer_friendly/104182
2 comments:
The blog looks better. Your type size could even go smaller. Right now it looks on my screen to be point size 14 or 18. Comments with love and good intentions.
This is to die for good. One evening I sat at Maura's dining room table eating the remains from Thanksgiving and drinking Pinot Grigio... A perfect evening when added with a great neighbor and a house filled with delightful children. P.S. Graham. Ms. Mehitabel says thank you and has a thank you gift for you.
Post a Comment