My neighbor had a beautiful baby girl last Friday and tonight I am bringing the family dinner. This is my go to meal for the maternity leave circuit. It is easy to make, and has few ingredients that would offend a sensitive palette or a newborn's digestive system. Both of these recipes come from Milwaukee Junior Leaugue cookbooks. The chicken is in Be Milwaukee's Guest and the carrot cake from Gatherings. I took my own advice this weekend and checked my local thrift store for Junior League cookbooks and scored one from Colorado. I will have to see if I can get two recipes out of that one.
CHICKEN ROSE
1 cut up fryer or assorted chicken parts with bones, dark meat is best, skin removed
1/2 cup sherry, I buy a cheap bottle at the liquor store, much more cost effective than buying cooking sherry at the grocery store
1/2 cup soy sauce, I prefer low sodium
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 tablespoons water
2 cloves garlic minced
2 teaspoon ground ginger, fresh ginger can be used as well
1/2 teaspoon oregano
2 tablespoons brown sugar
Place chicken in a covered casserole dish. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over chicken. Cover and bake at 375 for 45 minutes. Turn chicken over and bake for an additional 45 minutes.
Pour off marinade, remove as much of the oil as possible and serve marinade over rice and chicken.
CARROT CAKE
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I use 3/4 cup vegetable oil, 3/4 cup applesauce)
3 eggs
2 cups finely grated carrots
1 cup crushed pineapple, well drained
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup chopped walnuts (I omit these)
1 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat oven to 350° F. Butter a 13 x 9 inch pan. Sift flour, soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside. Beat sugar, oil, applesauce and eggs until well blended. Gradually add flour mixture. Fold in carrots, pineapple, coconut, walnuts and vanilla. Pour into pan. Bake 1 hour. Cool.
Frosting (this recipe makes more than enough)
8 oz package cream cheese softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar.
Beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until smooth. Frost cake.
Adapted from Gatherings Cookbook
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Glad to see you're back on the blog! You passed this chicken recipe on to me a few years back (it's in my recipe file on notebook paper in your handwriting---college maybe?) and it IS good...easy to throw together, even for a non-cook like me!
K
My step mother Kay used to make this with a whole chicken cut up and added onions add. She made it on the top of the stove in a dutch oven. Served it with rice. She called it oriental chiken. Tis a great no fuss stand by.
Sherry
Makes me (almost) want to have another kid....
Hey Maura & Kim(if she is reading). I have a Christmas memory for you. Remember one of our college roommates who decorated our house for Christmas with a felt and sequin "Santa sitting on the toilet " refrigerator magnet? Remember what we called the Santa?
Aahh the sweet holiday memories.
Merry Christmas everyone.
I have a vague recollection of that "decoration"...I seem to recall it being the topic of conversation during an extended game of quarters during one of our parties...
I don't remember what we called it...I can only imagine...
Hope you all have a Happy New Year!!!
KSue
My "imagination" was correct...thanks for the confirmation on that M---my memory cannot usually be trusted.
Post a Comment