Someone just turned 11 and requested French Silk pie for her dessert. I have purchased it in the past and it always tasted vaguely of Perkins refrigerator display case so this time I made it from scratch. It was very, very good. It might have had something to do with the fancy Belcolade bittersweet chocolate discs I used that were intended for my pursuit of the perfect Rustica cookie rip off. I now think I have the makings of a Patisserie 46 Tristan copycat tart. The F was concerned that if I made it from scratch there would be no chocolate curls. Thanks to the Pioneer Woman there were even chocolate curls.
French Silk
Chocolate Pie
1 cup heavy cream, chilled
3 large eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons water
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut in to 1/2" cubes and softened
1 pie shell (9-inch)
1 cup heavy cream, chilled
3 large eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons water
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut in to 1/2" cubes and softened
1 pie shell (9-inch)
With
electric mixer on medium-high speed, whip cream to stiff peaks, 2 to 3 minutes.
Transfer whipped cream to small bowl and refrigerate.
Combine
eggs, sugar, and water in large heatproof bowl set over medium saucepan filled
with ½ inch barely simmering water (don’t let bowl touch water). With electric
mixer on medium speed, beat until egg mixture is thickened and registers 160
degrees, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove bowl from heat and continue to beat egg
mixture until fluffy and cooled to room temperature, about 8 minutes.
Add
chocolate and vanilla to cool egg mixture and beat until incorporated. Beat in
butter, a few pieces at a time, until well combined. Using spatula, fold in
whipped cream until no streaks of white remain. Scrape filling into pie shell
and refrigerate until set, at least 3 hours and up to 24 hours. Serve with
lightly sweetened whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
From Cook's Country
When my birthday rolled around four days later here is the cake I received. Thankfully my nephew did not plant a Parmesan toenail in the cake.

No comments:
Post a Comment