Monday, August 19, 2013

Pilaf if you please: Grilled Salmon Steaks with Black Butter

This recipe has been a go to salmon recipe for years. This winter I made a batch, smeared it on the salmon and then decided to stir what was left in the bowl into the jasmine rice I prepared. It was outstanding. Now I make a batch just to put in the rice.  Either way I always skip the butter.




SPICY GRILLED SALMON STEAKS WITH BLACK BUTTER

1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne, I use 1/8 teaspoon because we are cayenne wimps
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced onion
1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 salmon steaks (1 pound) each about 1 inch thick
1 tablespoon unsalted butter

In a bowl stir together the black pepper, the paprika, the cayenne, the garlic, the onion, the thyme, the salt, and the oil until the mixture forms a stiff paste. Pat the paste onto both sides of each salmon steak. Heat an oiled ridged grill pan over moderately high heat until it is smoking and in it sauté the salmon for is cooking, in a small skillet cook the butter over moderate heat, swirling the skillet, until it is dark brown, but do not let it burn. Transfer the salmon to heated plates and pour the butter over it.
Serves 2


Gourmet, September 1990

No comments: