
I love my crockpot, I love my sister, and I love the blog crockpot365.com so when Maggie said that the rotisserie chicken crockpot recipe from crockpot365 was very good I gave it a go. I did use the optional 4 cloves of garlic and quartered onion. I cooked it on high for 3 hours and then kept it on warm until the rest of the dinner was ready. I fished out the four cloves of garlic and mashed them into the naughty mashed potatoes and I made gravy with the ample juices. It was very good and very easy. I am eagerly awaiting my copy of Make It Fast, Cook It Slow the cookbook based on crockpot365 from the library.
This week whole chickens are on sale at Rainbow for .99 a pound.
Crock Pot Rotisserie Chicken
1 whole chicken, skinned (4-5 pounds)
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, I cut back the cayenne to 1/4 teaspoon
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
pinch of chili pepper (probably not necessary)
4 whole garlic cloves (optional)
1 yellow onion, quartered (optional)
The Directions
I used a 6 quart crockpot for a 5 pound bird. It fit nicely.
Skin the chicken and get rid of the neck and other stuff from the cavity.
In a bowl, combine all of dried spices. Rub the spice mixture all over the bird, inside and out. Plop the bird breast-side down into the crockpot.
If desired, shove 4 whole garlic cloves and a quartered onion inside the bird.
Do not add water.
Cover and cook on high for 3-5 hours, or on low for 8. The meat is done when it is fully cooked and has reached desired tenderness. The longer you cook it, the more tender the meat.
Naughty Mashed Potatoes
Prepare mashed potatoes as usual but instead of adding milk stir in 4 ounces of softened cream cheese, 1/2 cup sour cream, and the four cloves of garlic from above. Season with salt and pepper.
No comments:
Post a Comment