Tuesday, October 6, 2009

By Request: Mexican Rice

Neighbor Sherry requested that I post this recipe on the blog. It is the wicked cousin of the most caloric mac and cheese you have ever had. My mother has been making it for years and it continues to be my vegetarian brother John's welcome home meal. I wonder what kind of makeover Cooking Light would give this? I wonder how it would taste with quinoa? Hey, Costco now has a 4 pound bag of organic quinoa for $10.49. That is a bargin.

Mexican Rice

1 cup onion chopped
1/4 cup butter
5 cups cooked rice
1 pint sour cream
1 cup cottage cheese
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1 4 ounce can chopped green chiles
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup chopped parsley

Preheat oven to 350. Saute onions in butter. Mix the onions, rice, sour cream, cottage cheese, bay leaf, salt, pepper and green chiles together. Pour half of the rice mixture into a greased 12x8 pan (12x8 must be some weird 1970's size, I like to use a corning ware 2.8 liter oval ) cover with half of the cheese. Repeat. Sprinkle parsley on top and bake for 30 minutes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo. A new entry!!!!