Monday, December 29, 2008

Wilted Arugala Salad with Sauteed Pork, Pears and Blue Cheese

How did I miss this recipe the first time I flipped through Fine Cooking Number 77 March, 2006? I know that I tried the a Rice Noodle Stir Fry and was disappointed. I know that my parents swear by one of the Roasted Chicken and Potatoes recipes but somehow the recipe in the pull out section at that back meant nothing to me. Nothing until I learned about the wonderful world of arugala from my friend Chris via the Tri Colore Orzo recipe of this summer.

I made this for the first time on Christmas Eve and I am anxious to make it again. We all loved it and by all I mean Jeff, H and I. G and F had pork tenderloin baked with olive oil, salt and pepper. The only changes I made, dried thyme, plumped cherries and walnuts. In fairness to Fine Cooking magazine this recipe is available for free on their website.

Wilted Arugala Salad with Sauteed Pork, Pears and Blue Cheese

3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium shallot, finely diced
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 oz. baby arugula, washed and spun dry (about 8 loosely packed cups)
1 firm-ripe Bosc pear
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 lb. pork tenderloin, trimmed and sliced 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/4 lb. blue cheese, crumbled (about 1 cup)
1/4 cup dried cherries


In a medium bowl, whisk together the vinegar and mustard. Slowly whisk in 1/2 cup of the oil. Stir in the shallot and thyme and season with salt and pepper to taste. Put the arugula in a large bowl. Core the pear and cut it into matchsticks.

Put the flour in a pie pan or large plate. Season the pork liberally with salt and pepper and dredge in the flour. Set a heavy 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the remaining 3 Tbs. oil and the butter. When the butter melts and begins to lightly brown, cook the pork (in batches if necessary), flipping after 2 min., until it’s just cooked through, about 3 min. total. Transfer to a large plate. Repeat with the remaining pork.

Discard any fat in the skillet and set over low heat. Add the balsamic-Dijon vinaigrette and cook, stirring to pick up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan, until the sauce is warm, about 1 min. Pour the vinaigrette back into its bowl and whisk to recombine. Toss the arugula with half of the warm vinaigrette. Arrange the arugula on 4 plates. Top with the pork, pear, blue cheese, and dried cherries, and drizzle with the remaining vinaigrette.

From Fine Cooking 77, pp. 82c
March 1, 2006

2 comments:

Mary Lou said...

Ok, I've got the soup recipe and will be trying it - this is totally the winter storm warning weather. Or death wish if you go outside weather. And Trung Nam? Yummmmmmmm

Kim Kosmatka said...

This is a test of the blog photo...does it show up on yours?