I received my first Ina Garten cookbook this Christmas Barefoot Contessa Family Style. I am not that familiar with the Contessa but I have family members that are big followers. This recipe is from her 1999 book The Barefoot Contessa. I first had it on the Menominee River last summer and I made it for the first time on New Year's. It is amazing. Just ask the neighborhood bagpiper.
Pan-Fried Onion Dip
2 large yellow onions
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper 1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup good mayonnaise
Cut the onions in half and then slice them into 1/8-inch thick half-rounds. (You will have about 3 cups of onions.) Heat the butter and oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions, cayenne, salt, and pepper and saute for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 more minutes until the onions are browned and caramelized. Allow the onions to cool.
Place the cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat until smooth. Add the onions and mix well. Taste for seasonings. Serve at room temperature.
Tuesday, January 2, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
There's nothing quite like carmelized onions....
There's nothing quite like carmalized onions.
Sherry
I want to hear about the CIRCUS PEANUT!
Post a Comment