Thursday, January 4, 2007

The Breakfast Cookie

The kids and I went to the airport today to see my niece off on her semester abroad to England. Grantham, England to be exact. Home of Harlaxton. It is hard to believe that it was 20 years ago that my friend Beth took off for the same place and Cortny and Heaps to Ealing. Now I am beyond thirtysomething with three children in tow and the security gate is as close as I get to international travel.

In honor of S and the adventures she is embarking on tonight I give you a second scone recipe, the one that has earned the nickname The Breakfast Cookie. I first had this type of scone at a teahouse in Woodbury, MN and my sister found the recipe on epicurious.com. I like it because it is egg free, makes a great mix to give as a gift, the unbaked scones freeze well, and I always welcome an excuse to have Heath Bars in the house.

Chocolate Chip Toffee Scones


3 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted, chopped
1/2 cup chocolate-covered English toffee bits
2 cups chilled whipping cream
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted

Additional sugar

Preheat oven 375°F. Lightly butter 2 heavy large baking sheets. Combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Stir in chocolate chips, nuts and toffee bits. Beat cream in another large bowl until stiff peaks form. Fold whipped cream into dry ingredients. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead gently until soft dough forms, about 2 minutes. Form dough into ball; pat out to form 1 1/4-inch-thick round. Cut dough into 12 wedges.

Transfer wedges to prepared baking sheets, spacing apart. Brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with additional sugar. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Serve warm.

Makes 12
Bon Appétit, September 1997

No comments: