Thursday, September 25, 2014

Meredith’s Shower ™

The last of the Hendricks children, Meredith,  is getting married in March. This weekend friends and family gathered to celebrate our bride-to-be and I put forth an offering to my patron saint of extended family, and the official patron Saint of Scotland, Saint Andrew. I thought that it was fitting that Meredith’s Shower™  should fall on the same week that Scotland had a referendum regarding independence . The Scots voted to stay with Britain just as I would always vote to stay with Clan Hendricks.


The following is the menu that was served. There are links where the recipe has already been shared online.

 I must give credit where credit is due. Moe vetted out and prepared the Farro Salad and Meghan brought the amazing Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars. 

My Spinach Feta triangles really have no specific recipe. I combine two boxes of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well squeezed out with 14 ounces of good greek feta and then I just follow the directions on the back of the phyllo box.

 The spinach salad is inspired by the Spinach Cranberry salad from Cossetta in Saint Paul. If you have not been to Cossetta since their recent expansion you need to treat yourself to a field trip. As I have yet to successfully recreate at home their Maple Rice Wine vinaigrette I  buy it there. I substitute diced Swiss cheese for the cost prohibitive imported parrano Italian cheese, throw in some dried cranberries and the Maple Glazed Pecans from the Tartine cookbook. I think the pecans may be my 2014 teacher gift. I cannot say enough wonderful things about the Tartine cookbook. It is the source of my croissant recipe, fruit gallette crust and the lemon bars.


The Menu

Spinach Feta Triangles
Fresh Fruit and Vegetables
Spinach Salad with Cranberries, Glazed Pecans, Swiss cheese and Maple Vinaigrette
Apricot Crumble Bar

Spiced Pumpkin Cookies

The Recipes

Fruit Preserve Crumble Bars
Adapted from Ina Garten's Raspberry Crumble Bars

2  sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 1/3  cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
10-12 ounces fruit preserves, I like raspberry or apricot
Confectioners' sugar, for sprinkling

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and mix on medium speed just until combined. With the mixer on low, add the vanilla.

Sift the flour and salt together and, with the mixer on low, slowly add to the butter mixture, mixing until it al comes together in large crubles. Turn the dough out on a board. Lightly pat two-thirds of the dough evenly on the bottom of a 9 inch square baking pan, or my favorite the 7 x 11 inch pan, and about 1/4-inch up the sides. Spread with the jam, leaving a 1/4-inch border. Evenly distribute the remaining crumbles of dough on top of the jam, covering most of the surface. Bake the bars for 30 minutes, or until lightly browned.

Cool completely and cut into bars. Sprinkle lightly with confectioners' sugar.



Pumpkin Cookies

1 cup of butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 cup cooked or canned pumpkin or squash
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt

Frosting
¼ cup butter
½ cup brown sugar, packed
1/8 teaspoon salt
¼ cup milk
2 cups powdered sugar

Heat oven to 350 F degrees. Grease 2 cookies sheets

To make cookies: In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add egg.  Beat until blended. Beat in pumpkin and vanilla. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating just until blended.

To bake cookies: Spoon heaping teaspoons of dough onto cookie sheets. Bake one sheet at a time for 11 to 13 minutes, or until the tops feel firm: These cookies are cake-like and require a little longer baking time than most cookies.) Repeat with remaining dough. Immediately transfer to wire rack. Cool completely.

To make frosting: Place butter in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 30 to 40 seconds, or until melted. Stir in brown sugar and salt. Microwave  on HIGH for 1 to 2 minutes, or until sugar is dissolved. Cool to room temperature.
Transfer to mixture bowl. Beat in milk on medium-low until blended. Continue beating and slowly add enough powdered sugar to make a smooth and creamy frosting that is the right consistency for spreading.

2 comments:

Mary Lou said...

I need phyllo triangle folding lessons! i miss you!

Erika said...

YUM! sounds amazing!