Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Winter Storm Warning = Beef and Barley Soup for Dinner

When the first winter storm advisory went out for our area on Tuesday morning I became determined to make this recipe. Even if it meant waiting in my car outside of the local liquor store at 8:50 am.

The recipe comes from The Best Make Ahead Recipe from the editors of Cook's Illustrated, another cookbook that I frequently check out of the library but never get around to making anything from. I cooked my soup on high for about 5 1/2 hours and it was perfect. My only regret is that I spent up and bought the chuck steak when I should have just bought the chuck roast for a dollar a pound less. I just am not very confident in my meat substitutions. Kind of like my yarn substitutions, right Sarah?

Beef and Barley Soup in the Crock Pot

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 medium onions, minced
2 carrots, chopped medium
1/4 cup tomato paste
Salt
1/2 cup dry red wine
2 pounds blade steak, aka as chuck state in these parts, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, pureed with their juice until smooth in a blender for food processor
2 cups low-sodium beef broth
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup pearled barley
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
Ground black pepper


Heat the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add the onions, carrots, tomato paste and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook until the vegetables are softened and lightly browned, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the wine, scraping up any browned bits.

Transfer the vegetable mixture into the slow cooker insert and stir in the meat, pureed tomatoes, broths, soy sauce, barley and thyme until evenly combined. Cover and cook on low until the meat is tender, 9 to 11 hours. (Alternatively, cover and cook on high for 5 to 7 hours.)

Gently tilt the slow cooker insert and degrease as much fat as possible off the surface of the soup using a large flat spoon. Stir in the parsley, season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK. You know I've never used a crockpot. (And I live in Minnesota??? What???)
So, my question is this, do you tilt and skim the fat DURING the cooking process, or should you just leave it alone and tilt and skim AFTER the cooking?
I seriously don't know if I'm allowed to take the lid off and sample?
This MIGHT make the Kosmatka table in the next few weeks!
KSue

Anonymous said...

And here's another question...
Diced tomatoes, pureed in a blender.
Could you just use tomato sauce? Or are we going for small chunks here?
(Oh, I am challenged in the kitchen, aren't I?)
KSue

Anonymous said...

Yea! Blogspot has magically opened once again here in China! Now you don't need to email the recipe. Of course I now must go on the hunt for ingredients. I have a crockpot recipe to send to you from a friend here, she swears by it, I haven't been able to find all the ingredients to try it so it is up to you. E