Monday, December 31, 2007

Martha, Martha, Shelly

My friend Shelly brought these bars to a work gathering a few weeks ago and they were great. I need to expand my treat repertoire beyond chocolate laden delights and these fall into this category. I made them this weekend for Cousin Christmas and even the handsome Canadian brother-in-law commented that they were good which says a lot. The recipe is from the December, 2007 issue of Martha Stewart Living and leave it to Martha and her peons to have odd measurements. Two cups of flour plus 2 tablespoons. Give me a break.

White Chocolate-Gingerbread Blondies

Makes about 4 dozen 2-inch squares

Vegetable-oil cooking spray
2 3/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 1/2 sticks (20 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/4 cups packed light-brown sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 large eggs plus 1 large egg yolk
1 1/4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup unsulfured molasses
10 ounces white chocolate, coarsely chopped


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 17-by-12-inch rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. Line bottom with parchment cut to fit, and coat parchment. Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and spices.


Beat butter and brown and granulated sugars with a mixer on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy. Add eggs and yolk, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in vanilla and molasses. Reduce speed to low. Gradually add flour mixture, and beat until just combined. Stir in white chocolate.

Spread batter into prepared pan. Bake until edges are golden, about 25 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Cut into 2-inch squares or desired shape. Blondies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 week.

3 comments:

Maura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I'm not so certain my name should be on the same line as Martha's especially since I'm commenting to note these blondies freeze well. I'm sure Martha never serves anything except freshly made.

Anonymous said...

Do you think these could be done with milk or dark chocolate?
I'm trying to "visualize" the flavor...
Whaddya think?
KSue