Last night the usual Monday night crew at the yarn shop was together again after a long hiatus. To mark the occassion I brought this for dinner. Sarah was even able to choke down some plumped dried cherries. My husband once made the mistake of telling me these cookies were the best ones I make. I was offended because they are the least homemade cookies I make.
Wild Rice Salad
6 cups prepared wild rice
2 cups smoked turkey breast, such as Jennie-O, cut into ½ inch cubes,
1 cup diced or julienne sun dried tomatoes in oil (reserve oil for dressing), optional
¾ cup dried cherries, plumped in hot water for 5 minutes
6 scallions, white and light green parts, diced
1 avocado cubed
1-3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
Dressing:
1/4 - 1/2 cup olive oil (use oil from sun-dried tomatoes for a portion of dressing)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoonssalt
Coarse ground pepper
Prepare wild rice as per the instructions on the package. Allow to cool. Stir in turkey breast, sun dried tomatoes, the drained, plumped cherries and scallions. Reserve ¼ cup of dressing. Toss rice mixture with the remaining dressing. Gently stir in avocados. Garnish with parsley. Season to taste with pepper and reserved dressing.
Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Cake Mix Cookies
Add 1/2 cup of oil plus two eggs to one box of cake mix (German Chocolate works best). Add a handful of chocolate chips. Drop by tablespoonfuls on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
In my defense, I don't like a dried fruit!! however, i must say, the cherries were mighty tasty. I think I need to to re-visit my dried-fruit. Maybe it's just raisins I have a problem with. But the dinner was fabulous!@ MMM, can't wait to make it myself. Although I always find that things are better tasting when someone else makes them. Thanks M.
I finally am able to see your blog! I check every week and the Chinese Government finds you too controversial! (actually all of Blogspot) I have printed all the recipes and am excited to have some new things to try. Love the chocolate chip cookie story. I knew we would be friends that first day you showed up on my doorstep with a very new Mr. H and a slew of cookies! Take care! E
Post a Comment