Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Faux Steak Salad

I traveled for work for the first time in eight years this month. It was fun. My material was fresh to everyone. My caffiene intake was way down so I was much more functional and I got to eat out everyday for lunch and dinner. Breakfast was Mega M&M's and a Nutrigrain bar on the way to the Columbus, Ohio Convention Center, lunch was at the amazing North Market , and dinner was at various spots within walking distance of the hotel ,including the Flat Iron Grill,thanks to Mary Lou's investigating our options via Chowhound.

At the Flat Iron the four of us all ordered the same thing, the steak salad. Mixed greens, grilled steak, carmelized onions, tomatoes, blue cheese and a light dressing. It was amazing. I did my best to recreate it this weekend substituting the steak with this grilled mushroom recipe, another recipe brought to my attention by neighbor Sherry. I made a simple dijon, red wine vinegar, black pepper and olive oil dressing, carmelized onions a la The Barefoot Contessa and added a handful of walnuts for good measure. It was very good.

Worcestershire Glazed Portobello Mushrooms

1/2 cup butter
4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1 pound portobello mushrooms, cut into 1/3-inch-thick slices

Melt 1/2 cup butter in large skillet over medium heat. Stir in Worcestershire sauce and vinegar. Stir in mushrooms. Sprinkle with salt. Remove from heat.

Grill mushrooms until soft and beginning to release juices, about 3 minutes per side. Divide mushrooms among the salad and serve. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

Bon Appétit July 2004

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I check every day...glad to see you here again...love all the links in this one!
I'm still not convinced, however, that you can substitute STEAK with MUSHROOMS. I'll have to consult my veg brother on this one.

Have you had a talk with Jeff? Somebody's apparently told him he looks like Brad Pitt? Well, it wasn't me! I think he looks a bit like George Clooney! ;D
KSue

Anonymous said...

Here's a one-ingredient recipe from the Duluth contingent. (PK's Idea)

Trix Cereal.

Call it "Faux Fruit Salad"

Yum-O!